Elevating modern art song in the 21st century
- Expand access and availability to music written by living composers for singers of all ages, with a special focus on young singers.
- Promote the music of all underrepresented communities, including BIPOC, LGBTQ+, and women composers.
- Provide a site for teachers and singers to find the newest available art songs.
- Promote the art of song through publishing, commissioning, research, and education.
“I know of no other anthology that has captured such a wide slice of contemporary American composition. Having the first four volumes tailored to the abilities of high-school and early undergraduate singers demonstrates an unprecedented vision for the needs of young musicians as well as for the future of the genre. These volumes will prove a tremendous resource for teachers, students, and music historians, and they should have a prominent place in music libraries, both institutional and personal, throughout the country and indeed the world.”— Tom Cipullo
Why I Started North Star
I have worn many hats throughout my life……student, singer, percussionist, teacher, adjudicator, author, director, editor…..This has led me to wanting help promote the art of song that has meant so much to me during every phase of my personal and professional life. Having judged auditions, competitions, and Solo & Ensemble festivals across the country, I am acutely aware of the lack of accessible modern art song for young singers. Teachers often find it a daunting and time-consuming task to search out “new music” for their students. Too often, currently available music labeled as “contemporary” is now decades old.
I started North Star Music to:
- Fill the void in age-appropriate repertoire for young singers
- Help teachers to easily introduce younger singers to the works of 21st century composers that are appropriate, both in text and technical skill, for their age and skill level
- Connect new composers with teachers and singers everywhere
- Publish all levels of art song…..from beginning singers to seasoned professional singers.
Why Sing New Music?
Our Modern Music for New Singers anthologies supports the tenet that music is a living, breathing, ever-changing entity. Art songs have always provided a snapshot, or catalogue, of our days. Every century’s music is defined by its historical events, its political or apolitical fervor, and reflects the heart of its people. Through contemporary composition, today’s singers are able to confront the shifting cultural climates and attitudes of society in their music making. Modern Music for New Singers gives today’s musician a mirror of their world, and future centuries’ singers a window to our lives, when our now becomes their past.
Individual art songs by the following composers
“The editor, composers, and collaborative curators of Modern Music for New Singers: 21st Century American Art Songs have enriched the genre considerably with this special series…..the editors have included an impressive number of songs by under-represented composers, women, BIPOC, and LGBTQ.”— Kathleen Roland-Silverstein, NATS Journal of Singing